Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Next Step

For the last six months people have been asking me the QUESTION. Every college senior faces this question with the same dread and uncertainty until that moment when you know the answer: What I am doing after I graduate? 

I finally know for sure what I am doing after college. :) Well, at least for five months. I will be taking a Discipleship Training School through Youth With a Mission (YWAM) in San Jose, Costa Rica. This is a type of cross-cultural missionary training which consists of three months of lecture (classroom-type learning) followed by two months of outreach (service, or putting into action all that we've learned). I am super excited to see what God will teach me through this experience! I am hoping to figure out through these five months what I want to do with the rest of my life, or at least for the next season. 

Right now I am preparing for this journey by reading up on Costa Rican culture, raising support to pay for the training + travel, and talking to people who have done YWAM. I know a couple people who have done other schools through YWAM and had incredible experiences. However, I know that everyone's experience is different. As much as I prepare for this next step, I will just have to face whatever challenges arise with a strong heart and adventurous spirit. I'm sure nothing will be quite like I expect it to be, but nonetheless it will be good. I will be a changed person at the end of it. 

To all of you fellow seniors out there who haven't quite figured out what you're doing with your life, it's okay. So I know where I'll be for 5 months, but after that, who knows? I encourage you to take it one step at a time. I've realized that there is no sense in making a "life plan" when circumstances can change in an instant. Live your life in seasons, and enjoy each season for its unique ups and downs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment