Sunday, September 20, 2015

Turning Over a New Leaf

Hello, there....it's been quite some time since I've written, yet much has happened in these past two months. As many of you already know, at the end of July I finished my term as a missionary with the United Methodist Church. It really is incredible how fast three years can go, and how much my perspective on faith and life has changed (for the better, I would say!). Thank you so much to everyone who has supported me throughout this amazing journey.


God definitely sent me to places I never would have imagined going on my own, and my eyes have been opened to both the stark contrasts in society and culture and the identical struggles all human beings face. Everyone has a desire to love and thrive, even though their definition of "the good life" might look completely different. Over the past three years, I have had the immense privilege of doing life with people from unique backgrounds, whose experiences I can never claim to fully understand. Yet in living in community with Ecuadorian farmers, in developing friendships with African American business owners, and in working with Alabamians dedicated to community development, I have gained awareness of myself, the injustices in the world today, and how God intends to use each one of us to create a more beautiful, peaceful society to live in.

My increased awareness and passion to address issues in the world like racism, poverty, and human trafficking has led me to seek further education. So, I'm getting my Master's in Social Work in Community Organizing at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. This year-long program will hopefully better prepare me for working in the non-profit world as a professional social worker and seeker of change. So far the MSW program has proved to be excellent in its focus on social justice and community engagement. I'm looking forward to what the next year will bring!

Not to brag, or anything, but it's pretty great here!





Needless to say, over the next 12 months, I won't be blogging regularly, although I might occasionally write about some of my experiences here (I already have several topics in mind, but grad school doesn't give you a lot of free time...). My hope is to create a new, better-looking blog at the completion of this year to continue writing about the intersection of faith, life, and social justice wherever I end up next! Be on the look out. Until then, I will leave you a quote to reflect on from the Magician's Nephew, which I just finished rereading. :)

“What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.” - C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment