Thursday, September 8, 2011

Manda el Fuego


      It’s really hitting me now that I only have 3 more weeks in this city. I am becoming familiar with the streets and feel at home here. However, as much as I love having heart-to-hearts on the hammocks, random dance parties in the classroom, and watching a movie with my family on the weekends, I know I’m ready for outreach. Sometimes I think I’m too comfortable just hanging out on base all weekend. It’s good to relax and spend time with friends, but I feel a tugging on my heart to go outside. God has bigger things planned for me than just sitting around all day. Doing ministry during outreach is going to give me a taste of this. What it’s like to be a missionary. Not every single day is going to be extraordinary, but following the path God has for you will change your life.
      A couple mornings this week we had the opportunity to go into communities and pass out Bibles. What an incredible experience we had. We went door-to-door and talked to people about God’s Word. Instead of just giving them a Bible and leaving, we shared scriptures with them and talked to them about their relationship with God. I was surprised at how many people opened up to us. Whenever people had a concern, we prayed for them. It is amazing how you can bless people just by listening to a stranger’s problems and showing that you care. The power of prayer is real. This Sunday our team went to a church event in Alajuela, about 30 minutes from the base. The church that hosted it was a small community fellowship and everyone there was super friendly and welcoming. And when the worship started, WOW, this church was on fire! Their hearts were pouring out for Jesus.
      Last week was an opportunity for growth in many areas. It was a hard week because I was a bit out of it, not in the brightest mood. There were so many little things putting me in a down sort of mood. When you’ve lived with the same six girls for over two months, the little habits get annoying. It has been a test in patience and love for me. I have learned that in spite of the occasional dispute over when to turn off the light, how to mop the floor, or planning last-minute events, I love my 12 classmates and share a bond with them that will last forever. We all need to be considerate of each other. That being said, this week there was an amazing transformation in my heart! I have never felt more alive and content. More about this in my next post.     
      One thing our team definitely needs prayers for is fundraising. Many people on our team do not have the funds they need for outreach. We have had a couple of small fundraisers as a team, but there is still a long way to go. Please pray that God would provide for us in this area, so that we would all be able to travel throughout Costa Rica ministering to the people in this nation.

Isaiah 61: 1-2
“The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has annointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives, and to release from darkness the prisoners. To proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God. And to comfort all who mourn.”

No comments:

Post a Comment